Egg mobile updates

Just launched a kickstarter campaign to raise money to fund scientific research around the nutritional break down of fodder at various stages of growth for our book on Fodder. Please check it out!


Egg mobile updates
8/26/2013 2:28:52 AM

We got quite a bit more done on the egg mobile this weekend.  While it is not quite done (still needs paint, chicken wire, and doors) I figured I would post a quick update on our progress so far.

20130824_184545

Here is the first article covering our initial start for the egg mobile.

As you can see between the picture above and the picture below we have made a fair bit of progress!

20130811_202951

To get started we chose to up cycle one of our pig houses which was built from random resources gathered from here and there…a house built from recycled supplies!  We firmly believe in re/up-cycling our building materials.

20130822_195057

From this pig house we were able to gather 4 sheets of 10’ long corrugated steel and 3 sheets of plywood.  With that we went straight to work installing the roof.

20130823_200751

20130823_200800

Hanging the 10’ sheets was quite a chore!  I had to call the wife out to help me get the job done.

20130823_203025

Next we hung up the storm doors.  These doors are hinged to the top of the walls and provide the chickens with an enclosed safe house at night.  They also provide added shade and air flow during the hot summer days.

20130824_120822

20130824_123507

20130824_123520

Then we turned our attention to closing up the hole around the bottom of the trailer.  To do this we had to take normal 1x10 material and rip it down to 9”.  Then we had to shave the 3/4” thickness down to 5/8” using the planer.  Thank god for all my little helpers!

20130824_130200

20130824_130821

This is by far one of my kids favorite tools in the shop!

20130824_130825

Once the board was reduced in size it slid right into place.

20130824_135438

Then we had to cut some boards to cover the end caps of the trailer.  I didn’t mention it before, but nearly everything on this project is glued and screwed due the trailer being towed over rough terrain.  Glue should keep it together for longer!

20130824_140032

20130824_140235

20130824_140242

Meet the crazy farmer moment!

20130824_140414

Then I got delayed for a bit.  The wife and kids were collecting brush from the property.  The drought has killed a few trees around the property.  One of them had a huge branch fall off in the last storm.  Chain saw time!

20130824_142105

20130824_142155

20130824_142216

20130824_142231

You can really see the “farmers tan” in this shot!

20130824_142306

20130824_143223

Back to work.  Next I turned to creating the doors for the egg mobile.  I wanted these doors to stay small and light but be able to handle years of opening and closing.  And they had to be strong enough to keep any predators out.  I chose to use common 1x4 pine for this but used a full lap joint in the corners and middle rail.

20130824_143230

To create the lap joint I brought out the table router.

20130824_143619

And set the depth of the cut to 1/2 the thickness of the board.

20130824_143935

20130824_144035

20130824_144054

Once the lines were cut on the jig I went to free form passes over the bit.  This proved to be a much faster way to get the cuts done.

20130824_144220

The kids are always learning while we do our projects!

20130824_144245

With the cuts made…

20130824_152449

…it was time for glue up.

20130824_162716

I chose to glue them, then put some brads through them to hold them in place.  And then we had doors!  (I haven’t hung them at this point as they needed to dry first!)

20130824_164410

20130824_171638

20130824_171646

Next it was time to install the nesting boxes we built a while back.  We started this by adding a 2x2” ledge for the nesting boxes to sit on.

20130824_173524

Then sat the boxes on the ledge and screwed them to the vertical boards.  And we put a couple screws through the bottom into the ledger.

 

20130824_183726

20130824_183746

As for the rest of the build, I need to finish enclosing the front shelf of the trailer.  I will leave the top triangle open for air flow though.  We will also need a few roosting poles for all the night time occupants.  And on top of the bar that connects to the trailer hitch I plan to build and weld a shelf to carry a 55 gallon water barrel and a 50 gallon feed can so that we have all we need at the trailer.

20130824_183711

More to come on this project later in the week.

  • egg-layers
  • eggs
  • chickens
  • projects
comments powered by Disqus

From the blog

Products